Under Articles 13 and 14 of EU Regulation no. 679/2016 on personal data protection (hereinafter, "Regulation"), General Logistics Systems Italy S.p.A. (hereinafter, "GLS" or "Company") and, where appropriate, the franchisee whom You or the consignor have/has contacted for the purposes of the goods shipment, as independent Data controllers, inform You that Your personal data will be processed in compliance with the aforementioned regulation and in accordance with privacy obligations, according to the principles of lawfulness, fairness and transparency which constitute the basis of our Company’s operations
1. Personal data controllers
GLS, with headquarter in Via Basento 19, 20098 - San Giuliano Milanese, tel. no. 02334521, e-mail address firstname.lastname@example.org and, where appropriate, the franchisee whom You or the consignor have/has contacted for the purposes of the goods shipment and whose contact details are contained in the documents that You have signed or that can be made otherwise available to You by the consignor (hereinafter also Data controllers).
2. Personal data undergoing processing and data source
The personal information undergoing processing includes Your identifying data (including, but not limited to, given name, family name, identity card number in case of ‘hold for pick-up’ at one of GLS’s depots, etc.) as well as Your contact details (including, but not limited to, e-mail address, residence/domicile/delivery address, telephone number).
The data will be collected as provided by You (if You are both the consignor and consignee) or as provided by the consignor, if You are the consignee of a shipment requested by a third party.
3. Purposes and legal basis of personal data processing
Your personal data will be collected and processed for the purpose of performing the goods shipment service. More specifically, such data will be collected for the purposes listed below:
a) to fulfill the pre-contractual and contractual obligations resulting from the goods shipment service (e.g. fulfillment of administrative, tax, accounting, treasury management obligations, etc.);
b) to enforce and/or protect the rights and/or the legitimate interests of the Data controllers and/or third parties, for example, for the purpose of handling complaints about the aforementioned shipment service, litigations or pre-litigation procedures;
c) to fulfill the obligations established by the relevant laws and regulations as well as by other applicable national or EU regulations, or to comply with the provisions issued by the competent Authorities, including orders issued by Government bodies in relation to official requests made on the basis of legal obligations.
The legal basis of personal data processing for the purposes illustrated under a) is the arrangement and performance of the goods shipment service.
The legal basis of personal data processing for the purposes illustrated under b) is the pursuit of a legitimate interest by the Data controllers, consisting, for example, in managing complaints and/or in verifying, exercising and protecting one’s own rights and/or legitimate interests and/or the rights and/or legitimate interests of third parties, also in case of litigations or pre-litigation procedures.
The legal basis of personal data processing for the purposes illustrated under c) is the compliance with specific legal requirements and the fulfillment of specific legal obligations.
Therefore, the processing of Your personal data for the purposes illustrated above is necessary and failure to provide such data, or part of such data, would make it impossible for the Company to provide the shipment service and to properly fulfill the purposes and legal obligations connected to it.
4. Categories of recipients of personal data and entities to which personal data may be disclosed
Within the scope required for the achievement of the specified purposes of use, Your personal information may be disclosed to the following entities:
- third-party companies responsible for shipping the goods and/or carrying out operations connected with the shipment of the goods;
- individuals, companies, associations or professional firms providing support and consulting services or providing services to the Data controllers, in particular, but not limited to, in areas that include accounting, administration, legal issues, tax and finance;
- parent companies, subsidiaries and/or affiliated companies as described in Article 2359 – Italian Civil Code, as well as the competent authorities, public and/or private sector organizations and bodies, in order to comply with legal requirements.
The entities listed above, all established on the territory of the European Union, will process personal data as independent data controllers or data processors. Data processors, if any, shall be appointed in conformance with the provisions of the Regulation.
Moreover, Your personal data will be processed by the Data Controllers’ internal staff (employees and collaborators) duly authorized as persons in charge of personal data processing.
5. Retention of personal data
Your personal data will be retained for the period that is necessary to perform and manage the goods shipment service; subsequently, they will be stored - in compliance with all applicable legal requirements and regulations - for administrative purposes and/or for the purpose of enforcing and/or protecting the legitimate interests of the Data controllers or of third parties, also in case of complaints, litigations or pre-litigation procedures.
In any case, we inform You that pursuant to Articles 5 and 89.1 of the Regulation, Your personal data may be retained for a longer periods than specified in this section merely for statistical purposes; in this case, however, we will implement, where necessary, appropriate technical and organizational measures to ensure that Your rights and freedoms are protected (e.g. pseudonymization or encryption).
6. Rights of data subjects
You have the right, in the cases expressly provided by law, to exercise the rights referred to in Article 15 et seq. of the Regulation. More specifically, You have the right to:
- obtain from the Data controller confirmation as to whether or not Your personal data is being processed, and, where that is the case, access to the personal data and information on the processing of data (e.g. purposes of the processing, the categories of personal data concerned, the recipients or categories of recipient to whom data have been or will be disclosed, the envisaged data retention period, etc.);
- request from the Data controller the rectification of incorrect or incomplete data;
- request from the Data controller the erasure of personal data (e.g. if personal data is no longer necessary for the purposes for which it has been collected, etc.);
- request a restriction of personal data processing (e.g. in case You contest the accuracy of personal data; if the processing of data is unlawful and You object to the erasure of personal data; if personal data is necessary to enforce or defend a right in court proceedings, even though such data is no longer needed by the Data controller; in case You exercise the right to object, for the period of time necessary to verify the existence of legitimate reasons);
- receive the personal data concerning You in a structured, commonly used and machine-readable format (e.g. pdf file) and transmit such data to another data controller or have the personal data transmitted directly from one data controller to another, where technically feasible (so-called "data portability").
Moreover, You have the right to object, wholly or partially, for legitimate reasons, to processing of personal data concerning You and, if You believe that the processing of the personal data provided violates the Regulation, to submit a complaint to the Data Protection Authority and/or any other competent supervisory authority by virtue of the aforementioned Regulation.
To exercise the rights mentioned above You may contact GLS by sending an e-mail to the following address: email@example.com or the franchisee whom You or the consignor have/has contacted for the purposes of the goods shipment.